LayerManager is an add-in for desktop Visio, and is just $79 / user, and can be purchased from Paddle.com, from within the add-in, or contact us for a quotation.
Request a download from here to try free for 7 days : Click
View the LayerManager help file here : Click
Note: You should uninstall version 1.x before installing the new version.
Sep ’21: New Fix sub-shape layers tool and menu options
- Fixing the sub-shape layer assignments of Visio shapes
- Developer Mode for advanced Layer Manager actions
Dec ’20: New installation, purchasing and licensing process
Feb’20: New updated version includes shape counts and hash layer tool for Power BI integration!
Microsoft Visio has a complex layering system that can be confusing. The appearance of a Visio page can be drastically altered by changing the visibility and printability of layers. Effective use of layers can provide multiple views of the same base visual information, reducing the need to copy shapes from one page to another, and thus eliminates mistakes.
Layer Manager makes this simple.
I have recorded 3 short videos to explain why:
- What’s the issue with layers in Visio?
- Making it simple to toggle layer settings
- Saving and recalling multiple layer settings easily
Still need convincing? … Read the help file
Important: Developer Mode must be ON to see the Toggle Buttons and Layers tabs (and the new Shape Layers tab).
Toggle Layer Buttons provide a visual indication of layer states and colors.
Non-printable Layer Set Buttons make it easy to save and recall multiple layer settings.
- Toggle visibility of layers in a window or with in page buttons
- Apply settings to a group of layers together
- Save and recall multiple layer settings by name
- Prepare for Power BI integration
- Fix missing sub-shape layer assignments
- LayerManager is an add-in for Visio 2013+
- Request a download from here : Click
- View the LayerManager help file here : Click
- Latest version is 21.09.1.0 – see bottom of page for details
- *Older versions should be uninstalled first
- **Existing users of version 1* should request a new activation code before installing this version
Related Blog Articles
I was preparing a new update of my Layer Manager tool, and was constantly coming across a lack of quality control in the sub-shape layer assignment in a number of the master shapes in Microsoft provided stencils. I have mentioned this to Microsoft as a bug before but the problem still persists in Visio for…
I have had more than one person ask me how to see the full Layer Manager panel, so I must have not made it clear enough in the help file. Visio has a Developer Mode that is simple to switch on, and provides some extra functionality, including a Developer tab in the ribbon. Layer Manager…
Back in 2012, my fellow Visio MVPs, Scott Helmers and Chris Roth, and I recorded a series of 24 videos about Visio 2010. They were first hosted on Microsoft’s web site, then they put them up on YouTube, they they got deleted :-(. Well, we have managed to retrieve them, and put them back up…
I work a lot with layers in Visio, and written an add-in, LayerManager, to assist, but I was asked an interesting question recently: How can shapes by assigned to layers automatically from a list in Excel? So, I thought I would present my solution. This particular request was for a Timeline diagram, where the Milestone…
If you are one of the increasing number of Power BI users that have discovered that the Visio Visual gives you the great ability to include Visio diagrams in your dashboard, then you may have come across the following error, ‘We can’t open your file in Visio because it exceeds the shape count limit’ in…
Learn how you can control Visio layer visibility with linked data